Religion & Faith Life
St. Andrew Catholic School shares the mission of Catholic education:
To proclaim the message of Jesus
To create Christian community
To worship God
To serve each other and the world.
Religion classes and faith formation are the foundation of the entire school program. The mission, philosophy, and vision statements today reiterate the original mission of the school: excellent Catholic education of children so that they will become competent and productive adults who make ethical and moral decisions and contribute meaningfully to society. Catholic values, teachings and traditions are integrated throughout the curriculum and the school program. Students and faculty work together daily to learn, pray, and play in an atmosphere of love, respect, and community.
The School Community
- Prays daily
- Attends and leads the ministries at the weekly School Mass with the 8:15 a.m. parishioners
- Celebrates the sacrament of Reconciliation in Advent and Lent
- Prepares the children for Baptism, First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion
- Works with parents to prepare the children for the Sunday Liturgy of the Word
- Teaches students about the liturgical year and the lives of the saints
- Prepares students for worship and for growth in understanding of the liturgy
- Celebrates important seasons throughout the year: October - Respect Life, May - The Holy Rosary and honoring Mary at the annual May Procession.
- Participation in the William H. Hannon Foundation Father Serra Essay Contest (Grade 4)
- We share and reflect on the Gospel reading for the week and then celebrate birthdays during our Friday Morning Assembly
- Annual participation in the ACRE Exam (NCEA standardized test)
- Various service projects throughout the school year
- The school community participates in One Life LA and middle school participates in Christian Service 4 Life (a capstone activity for Respect Life Week)
- Retreats for sacramental prep as well as all grade levels
The Religion curriculum of St. Andrew Catholic School follows the Religion Standards for elementary schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.